The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing the permanent closures of both the Route 2 Eastbound Sutton Avenue off-ramp (Exit 5B) and Route 2 Westbound Cambridge Drive on-ramp (Exit 5B).
As part of the safety and operational improvements on Route 2, permanent ramp closures are necessary in the Town of East Hartford. Improvements associated with the closures include extending the acceleration and deceleration lanes in vicinity of the ramp closures, providing intersection improvements on Main Street at the Main Street off-ramp (Exit 5A) intersection, and improvements at the intersection of Main Street and Maple Street/Broad Street.
DOT Project No. 0042-0317 was awarded to Empire Paving a cost of $61,786,112.84 on April 5, 2021. This project is administered by the Office of Construction, District 1, in Rocky Hill, Connecticut.
RAMP CLOSURES & ALTERNATE ROUTE INFORMATION
The following ramps will be permanently closed starting December 2, 2021, weather permitting. Temporary signage will be posted alerting the public of the closure.
- Route 2 Eastbound Sutton Avenue Off-Ramp (Exit 5B)
- Route 2 Westbound Cambridge Drive On-Ramp (Exit 5B)
Alternate routes are as follows:
Traffic entering Route 2 Westbound via the Cambridge Drive On-Ramp can use the following alternate on-ramps:
- Maple Street Route 2 WB On-Ramp (0.4 miles south of Cambridge Drive)
- Sutton Avenue to Main Street south to Maple Street
- High Street Route 2 WB On-Ramp (0.6 miles north of Cambridge Drive)
- Sutton Avenue to Main Street north to Brewer Street to West Brewer Street
Traffic exiting Route 2 Eastbound via the Sutton Avenue Off-Ramp may use the following alternate off-ramps:
- Exit 5C Maple Street EB Off-Ramp (0.4 miles south of Sutton Avenue)
- Maple Street to Main Street to Sutton Avenue
- Exit 5A High Street EB Off-Ramp (0.6 miles north of Sutton Avenue)
- High Street to Carter Street to Main Street to Sutton Avenue
A map of these ramp closures and associated alternate routes follows. Motorists should exercise caution and allow additional time for their trip as these closures are implemented.